AVENS - A Community for Seniors (previously YACCS) was incorporated under the Societies Act in April of 1983 by a group of citizens to lobby government and establish programs and services for seniors.
AVENS was established to meet the needs of the growing number of soon-to-be retired miners and prospectors (many of whom were bachelors) who would need support to live out their retirement years in Yellowknife.
Since its inception, AVENS has worked very hard to establish programs and services not only for Yellowknife seniors, but for seniors across the NWT. Highlights of this work include:
- Assisted in the establishment of the NWT Extended Health Benefits Program for seniors.
- Constructed Aven Manor in 1987 - a personal care facility for seniors, serving Yellowknife and other NWT Communities.
- Acquired a 35 year lease on the land surrounding Aven Manor and then acquiring ownership of that land in 2005.
- Constructed Aven Court in 1992, 6 four plex buildings equating to 24 units of affordable housing for independent seniors.
- Assisted in the development of the NWT Seniors Society and the Yellowknife Seniors Society, which are now strong, independent partners of AVENS.
- Constructed the Baker Community Centre in 1995 with the generous help from the late Mr. Ed Baker and community donations. The Centre is operated by the Yellowknife Seniors Society (YSS). YSS works to provide programs and services in support of senior’s wellness for Yellowknife Senior’s.
- Constructed Aven Ridge in 2007 - four duplexes equating to eight new housing units of affordable housing for independent seniors.
- Lobbied for the construction of the new territorial dementia facility called Aven Cottages. The new facility was built by the Government of the NWT and is operated by AVENS. The new facility started accepting resident in March 2010.
AVENS is governed by a volunteer Board of Directors.
AVENS - A Community for Seniors